On January 19, 1897, a group of concerned Fredericksburg citizens met to discuss the need for a hospital in their community. A Board of Regents consisting entirely of ladies was elected to find a suitable location for the hospital and to raise building funds. In 1899, the first Mary Washington Hospital opened and today, Mary Washington Healthcare continues its tradition of caring for the community.
Mary Washington Healthcare is proud to offer:
- The Washington, D.C., metro region’s #2 hospital (Mary Washington Hospital);
- One of only 22 Virginia hospitals that are Magnet recognized (MWH);
- A Level II Trauma Center and Level III NICU;
- Three emergency rooms at Mary Washington Hospital, Lee’s Hill, and Stafford Hospital;
- Minimally invasive surgery, including TAVR (MWH) and gynecology (Stafford Hospital);
- Advanced surgical services using the region’s most current, efficient robotic technology, the daVinci® Xi Robotic Surgery System;
- And community programs, support groups, and events which enhance the lives and improve the health of the communities we serve.